Wednesday 21 February 2018

Is ebay a bad thing ?

I occasionally find myself in a discussion about the demise of eBay, somehow it feels that a few years ago is was really easy to pick up bargains for us wargamers. Items would come up regularly and if you knew how to ‘snipe’ bid you could get some great stuff. Then things seemed to dry up, prices often seem to go higher than I was prepared to pay, but then reflecting on this if that is what somebody is prepared to pay then so be it. There was a sense that more and more people were effectively trading through eBay.....which of course is fine. Anyway the question in the title is in fact another issue which is I just can’t stop myself looking for bargains 😀 and the lead Mountain range grows ever longer (it can’t get higher already being at the ceiling). This box arrived in the post this morning.

A lovely unit of Sassanid spearmen who I will use in persian or other ancient armies as well-armed heavy spearmen
A nice little unit of barbarian skirmishers, not certain but I think they are Eastern European with sheepskin coats
Two elephants, now they are quite small in comparison with my others but like people not all elephants are the same size you know, they have nice Sassanid crews
and a trio of random characters/commanders which are always useful to have.

All for the princely sum of £35 free postage. So why the question......well I hadn’t intended to buy any of these, my lead mountain range is already pretty long but I just can’t stop myself 😱😱😱😱😱😱 so now I am torn as to whether I love eBay or hate it ?😀 I felt sharing my guilt might help.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks it has gone back in the box for know though ☹️

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. There is clearly something in our collective psyche.....”you may never see them again at that price” ....🙂

      Delete
  3. You’re among friends here...I find myself inventing new avenues of collection if a particular stream that I’m following temporarily runs dry. I love eBay, but my wallet hates it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reckon it's a disease all Wargamers suffer from, made that much more easy with the advent of Evil-bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A collective challenge of not letting the bargain ge away 🙂

      Delete
  5. Is eBay a bad thing? Discuss. Sounds like an old General Studies question. I tend to stick to buying small stuff for my VBCW project, flags for my Italian Wars project or Imaginext Batman stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn’t allowed to do general studies ☹️

      Delete
  6. yes to ebay, no to more sodding elephants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are only little elephants....more like children really ! I thought I might paint them as Numidians ? If I can get some suitable crews or perhaps Indian brought in by the Persians ?

      Delete
  7. I have the same problem ... Nothing to do against this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I haven't bought anything off of ebay for a number of years as I'd keep saying got to get that it's so cheap! Having said that I did make one purchase recently for my bolt action soviets 9 lledo trucks /cars for 99p bargain! A good thing if your able to practice restraint, who's that then?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete