Wednesday 9 May 2018

Terracotta Warriors and Carronade

Ok an odd title but it does what it says on the tin. Firstly my long suffering wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary with a day trip on the train to Liverpool yesterday. The principle rationale for this was to visit the Terracotta Warrior exhibition currently on in Liverpool and some retail therapy (her not me).

You need to book in advance easier on the phone than the online site as they don’t put all the tickets on the web. But if you like military stuff and are interested in history this is I guess a fairly unique opportunity to see something quite special. As I knew we were going I had watched some of the u tube videos on the subject which helped enormously with the background history. Here are just a couple of photos I took.

Collection of warriors a variety of different types, nearest an officer, heavy infantry, Light Infantry through to chariot driver and archers at the end.
Chariot made about half size
Stone armour
Stone helmet
Not all terracotta warriors are quite so large
These cavalry are about quarter size
Heavy infantry, like greek statues they were painted when built and most they believe had red armour
Chariot driver

Exhibition takes about an hour so is not massive but well worth it.

As for retail therapy I saved my money as I am planning on going to CARRONADE on Saturday in Falkirk, and as usual if anybody out there in the blogosphere is attending and want to say hello, catch up or discuss anything over a coffee I would be more than happy to say hello.๐Ÿ˜€

13 comments:

  1. Quite spectacular aren’t they, was lucky enough to see them in situ, takes your breath away when you enter.
    Will be missing Carronade this year as Dave is hors-de-combat, have fun and spend๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very impressive perhaps one day I’ll go...if nothing else I am quite partial to Chinese food ๐Ÿ˜€ guessed you guys might not make it this year let’s hope I don’t spend tooooo much

      Delete
  2. I was lucky enough to get to see these in Yuan - incredibly impressive. Hope to see you at Carronade but as I am on of the organisers I don't get too much time to chat unfortunately. Good to see that word of the show has spread down the M6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very lucky.....looking forward to the show, hope it goes well ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  3. Great looking exhibition, have fun at Carronade!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hopefully get a bargain ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  4. I like the chariot and on its own it is enough for me to want a First Emperor's army.

    I recently bought The Terracotta Army by John Man and published by Bantam Books. It is a very interesting and easy read with some good photographs (some similar to your own gallery above).

    I enjoyed it so much, I also bought a copy for a friend who was visiting the exhibition in Liverpool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to check who made appropriate figures when I got back ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  5. That is an excellent exhibition. Like Norm, seeing this would me into a new project too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly check out available figures when I got back

      Delete
  6. I guess they are travelling the world so if you ge the chance ๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a wonderful exhibition!

    ReplyDelete